Heating, Ventilating & Plumbing
Home
Menu
DIYer gets pocket burned
Published:  28 September, 2010

A homeowner has been fined thousands of pounds after illegally installing a woodburning stove.

Paul Taylor pleaded guilty to breaching building regulations relating to the installation. He admitted he was not registered with HETAS (Heating Equipment Testing & Approval Scheme) and that he had not applied to Charnwood Borough Council for a building notice for the work.

The flue was fitted incorrectly and was in direct contact with timber and plastic in the eaves of the property, a bungalow.

Taylor was ordered by Loughborough Magistrates Court to pay £4,323 in fines and costs.

HETAS chief executive Bruce Allen said: “This case highlights the potential dangers of DIY installation. Thankfully, no-one was injured on this occasion.”